The FollowMe Q-Server release is for the FollowMe Q-Server Version 6.1 product, this release contains a number of feature enhancements as well as security improvements.
Highlights and Changes included in this Release include:
- Google Cloud Print - Enterprise grade support for Google Cloud Print service, without the need for add-on’s, enables secure FollowMe Printing directly from Google Cloud Print enabled devices such as smart phones, tablets or Chrome book’s, via the Google Cloud Print service with integrated accounting and tracking on a per user basis.
- Universal Document Printing Engine - The Universal Document Printing Engine (UDPE) forms part of FollowMe’s Next Generation Printing Platform (NGPP) utilizing the XPS document format, enabling the use of a single universal driver to bridge the gap of conventional printing where a vendor-specific driver is required, which improves document fidelity, print output speeds, including reducing the size of raw document and print data traversing a network within the modern printing environment, as well as for devices not supporting the XPS document format it allows for documents to be rendered ready for printing at those devices without any user interaction.
- Native Outbound Printing Support for PDF, URF and XPS - Direct printing to output devices provides faster print processing, improved document fidelity, reducing network bandwidth requirements due to smaller document sizes, and ultimately enabling more options for printing.
- Workflow Logging - Integrated workflow logging enables tracking of user behavior, from the point of printing to the time of release and use of an embedded device front panel.
- Multi-factor Authentication - Ensures customer environments needing additional security can benefit directly from multiple-factor authentication such as a card and PIN also on embedded based devices rather than previously only via the FollowMe E-Line hardware controllers.
- Temporary Cards - This feature allows for customers to enforce rules of how many cards a user is allowed, including if a user were to forget their card and be issued with a temporary card which was then enrolled that this card can actively be purged each evening allowing for them to be re-used with low administrative overhead.
- New Embedded Vendor Support - Support for the following printer vendors has been included in this latest release:
- Canon *
(* Limited availability depending on region.)
- New Embedded Deployment Tools - The enhanced embedded deployment tools enable automated installation and configuration for Canon, OKI, Samsung and Toshiba device models, directly from the FollowMe Q-Server reducing the amount of manual deployment work required on those vendors device models.
- Windows Server 2012 and 2012 R2 - Improved support for Windows Server 2012, and Windows Server 2012 R2 operating systems.
- Mobile Printing - Significant improvements in the FollowMe Mobile Printing document rendering technologies, including improved automation and policy driven features:
- Simplex / duplex enforcement at time of rendering rather than only at time of print release, ensuring policies are enforced
- Automated document resizing for output when input document size is different to supported output size
- Output quality improvements for all document formats when rendering
- Improved document fidelity for PDF documents when rendering
- Faster rendering, including simultaneous rendering support
- Embedded - Supports vendors newer device models (including updated screen sizes where applicable).
- Import Tools - New feature and tools enable functionality improvements in the following areas:
- User import includes an improved support for assistant/manager fields, as well as new field types for language selection
- User import includes updates to condition logic, which allow for additional flexibility when defining specific import rules, such as setting credit (quota) from a specific source field or updating it depending on the conditions set
- New printer import allows importing from both Window servers, CSV or XML files for easier integration in existing customer environments as well as simplifying deployment
- Business Intelligence Engine - Updated policy driven conditions provide additional benefits in the following areas:
- Additional actions enable greater flexibility to meet ever changing customer requirements to deliver integrated workflows into business process
- Simpler integration possibilities to enable "Guest Printing" functionality in customer environments
- Customizable incoming queue status response for LPR jobs, and queue locking for LPR and IPP jobs
- Reporting - Updates in reporting functions enable the following functionality:
- Filters have been extended so that there are more than 2,000 filter driven combinations which can be configured to ensure reports fit any business requirement, including additional field choices for output extending across to additional printer properties
- Application types allow for improved application detection, as well as the ability to add custom application types for bespoke application identification and reporting
- Extended field choices ensure report output fits for on-screen viewing as well as exporting to CSV or XML for importing into a 3rd party billing system
- Accounting - Continual investment in accounting updates deliver the following benefits:
- Improved accounting for PCL and PostScript print jobs
- Native accounting support for XPS document formats when received via native print paths
- Audit trail redaction now also supports document name redaction including existing redaction options for other user specific attributes useful to meet highly secure customer environments and government legislation requirements
- Administration - Various updates in the administration interfaces, including the following:
- Enhanced search capability includes additional fields when searching user, printer or other system details
- Localization enhancements of the FollowMe Embedded, Web Client and Web Administration tools for various languages
- New options exposed for system overrides, which improve integration when unique customer requirements need to be met
Important notes for this Release:
- Microsoft .NET Framework - This release requires the Microsoft .NET v3.5 and v4.0 Frameworks to be installed before the installer will complete.
- While the installer will prompt to install the version automatically, if no internet access is available, then the installer will not be able to continue until these pre-requisites have been installed offline
- Windows 2003 and 2003 R2 Server - The support for the Windows 2003 and Windows 2003 R2 Server has been discontinued in this release (in line with Microsoft general support ending), while the installer and software may operate under Windows 2003 and Windows 2003 R2 Server, support for this operating system going forward will be limited.
IMPORTANT: Existing customers should only download and install the FollowMe Q-Server Version 6.1.x if they are already running Version 6.0.x, for customers running Version 5 please ensure you have already purchased an upgrade as Version 6 licenses are different to Version 5 and installing a Version 6 over a Version 5 installation using Version 5 license keys will cause FollowMe to stop running until it is re-licensed.